Sunday, May 18, 2008

Have the Terrorists Won???

It’s been seven years since the September eleventh attacks in New York City. Airports have increased security measures to the point where nail-clippers and toothpaste are not allowed in carry on bags, but are we really safer?

On my last trip on an airplane, I could not help but notice all the new security procedures. Waiting in line to receive my boarding pass, an airline employee informed me that I would not be allowed to carry any outside water bottles into the gate area. I reluctantly disposed of my half full bottle of water, ticket in hand.

As I made my way to the security bag screening area, I smelled something kinda off, something downright funky. Feet. The smell of stinky feet. “Sir please remove your shoes and pass them through the machine, it’s mandatory, “the airport security guard grunted in my general direction.

After passing through the metal detector barefoot, I imagined all the new ultra mutated hybrid super- fungi breeding in the thin corridor of carpet I just treaded over. My mind swirled with images of Al Qaeda athletes foot attacks, the likes of which have never been seen before.

Heading to my gate I was reminded by a slightly terse automated voice that the terror level had reached “orange” and I should keep an eye on my bag at all times. I looked at the person next to me suspiciously. Was he eyeing my bag? No offense buddy, but we are at orange level, you never know.

Have these new measures made us safer? Do you feel safer? Or just inconvenienced to the point of “terror”. Personally, I feel dehydrated, and I think my feet are starting to itch. Call homeland security, we better bump the terror level to red.

No comments: